Temporary Residence

A temporary resident is a foreign national who is legally authorized to enter Canada for temporary purposes.

We assist clients with:

  • Visitor visas for tourists, parents, and business visitors, including Super Visas
  • Visa-exempt entry for those who do not require visas to enter Canada
  • Student visas and permits
  • Work visas and permits supported by Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs)
  • LMIA exempt work visas and permits

Our experienced lawyers can also help guide you and navigate you through the intricacies of:

  • Labour Market Impact Assessment Applications
  • The MPNP Employer Direct Pathway (Employer-Engagement) Applications
  1. Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Applications

    Most Canadian employers need an LMIA before they can hire a temporary foreign worker. An LMIA confirms: (1) that there is a need for a temporary foreign worker; and (2) that no Canadian or permanent residents are available to do the job.

    The LMIA application process will depends on the type of program an employer is hiring through, such as: high-wage workers, low-wage workers, workers under the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program, and workers under the Agricultural Stream.

    Once an LMIA is issued, the temporary foreign worker can apply for a work permit based on the approved LMIA.

    We can also assist clients in situations where an employer and the temporary foreign worker are exempt from the LMIA or work permit requirement. If an employer and temporary foreign worker are exempt, our office can assist in filing an LMIA-exempt work permit application.

  2. MPNP Employer Direct Pathway (Employer-Engagement)

    The Employer Direct Pathway does not replace the LMIA process. Employers must be able to demonstrate that they have recently applied for an LMIA when submitting a recruitment request to MPNP Employer Services.

    Our staff can help you through the LMIA application process and the MPNP Employer Services process. The Employer Direct Pathway enables an employer to find the skills needed among a pool of recently arrived immigrants to Manitoba or through an Overseas Recruitment Mission (subject to available resources and departmental approval).

    If a candidate is interviewed as part of an Overseas Recruitment Mission or otherwise nominated for permanent immigration, our office can assist with filing the necessary applications to facilitate the foreign worker’s entry to Canada.

Medical Exams for Temporary Residents

Temporary residents who plan to visit for six months or less generally do not require a medical exam unless they plan to work in certain occupations. Those who plan to visit for more than six months will require a medical exam if they have lived for six or more months in a row in certain countries or territories in the one year immediately before the date they want to enter Canada, or if they will work in an occupation in which public health must be protected.

For or more information about applying for or extending temporary resident status, please contact us.